NCERT Solution for class 10 English poem Dust of Snow summary, question answer and extra important questions in pdf download for cbse and other state board school students.
Dust of Snow Class 10 English Summary
Dust of snow is a beautiful poem written by Robert Frost. In this poem a symbolic incident is described. The poet is standing down of a hemlock tree. He is sad. He thinks that his day has been ruined. Just then a crow shakes the hemlock tree and dust of snow fall on him. This little incident brings about a sudden change in the state of poet’s mind. His mood has changed. He thinks that it has saved the rest of his day and gets busy with his work like crow.
Dust of Snow Class 10 English summary in Hindi
धूल की बर्फ रॉबर्ट फ्रॉस्ट द्वारा लिखी गई एक सुंदर कविता है। इस कविता में एक प्रतीकात्मक घटना का वर्णन किया गया है। कवि एक हेमलॉक पेड़ के नीचे खड़ा है। वह दुखी है। वह सोचता है कि उसका दिन बर्बाद हो गया है। तभी एक कौआ हेमलॉक के पेड़ को हिलाता है और बर्फ की धूल उस पर गिर जाती है। यह छोटी सी घटना कवि के मन की स्थिति में अचानक बदलाव लाती है। उसका मूड बदल गया है। वह सोचता है कि इसने अपने बाकी दिनों को बचा लिया है और कौवे की तरह अपने काम में व्यस्त हो जाता है।
Dust of Snow Class 10 English Textual Question Answer
Question 1 What is a “dust of snow”? What does the poet say has changed his mood? How has the poet’s mood changed?
Answer- A “dust of snow” means particles of snow. The poet was in a sad mood. But the falling of the dust of snow on him changed his mood. Now he saw the beauty of nature and appreciated.
Question 2 How does Frost present nature in this poem? The following questions may help you to think of an answer.
- What are the birds that are usually named in poems? Do you think a crow is often mentioned in poems? What images come to your mind when you think of a crow?
- Again, what is ” a hemlock tree “? Why doesn’t the poet write about a more ‘ beautiful ‘ tree such as a maple, or an oak, or a pine?
- What do the ‘crow’ and ‘ hemlock ‘ represent – joy or sorrow? What does the dust of snow that the crow shakes off a hemlock tree stand for?
- Generally birds which are beautiful or which have a sweet voice are usually named in poems. Some of such popular birds are cuckoo, mynah, peacock, parrot, etc. A crow is rarely mentioned in poems. Its song is jarring and it is considered ominous. But Frost is a poet of nature. He considers every bird worth mentioning in his poems. When we think of a crow the image of sadness comes to our mind.
- “A hemlock tree” is a poisonous plant with small white flowers. The poet mentions this plant or tree because the crow as well as the plant match the poet’s mood.
- The ‘crow’ and ‘ a hemlock tree ‘ represent sorrow and evil. They match the poet’s mood. The dust of snow stands for something joyful. So the falling of the snow on him changed his mood.
Question 3 Have there been times when you felt depressed or hopeless? Have you experienced a similar moment that changed your mood that day.
Answer- Yes, there have been times when i was in a bad mood. I was sad or depressed. But something always changed my mood into that of joy. Once i felt sad i had a quarrel with one of my friends. But then i went into the garden. I heard the song of the cuckoo bird. That sweet song changed my mood.
Dust of Snow Class 10 English important Questions
Question- What moment changed poet mood?
Answer – After Falling the dust of snow on the poet from hemlock tree changed his mood.
Question – What is the meaning of hemlock tree in the poem?
Answer – It is a poisonous plant with small white flowers.
Question – Who is the Poet of the poem ‘ dust of snow ‘?
Answer – Robert Frost